If you’re like most people, you have a lot of passwords to keep track of. And if you’re like most people, you probably don’t have a great system for keeping track of all those passwords.
Maybe you use the same password for everything, or maybe you have a different password for every account but can never remember which is which.
Either way, it’s time to start using a password manager. A password manager is a program that stores your passwords in an encrypted database and can generate strong passwords for you.
The best part is, that all you need to remember is one master password—the password manager will take care of the rest.
While there are numerous third-party password managers available to download on your Android phone, Google offers this service free of charge. And since Android phones are centred on Google, you can simply use the password manager that’s built right into your phone.
So follow the steps below to activate your password manager and start managing your passwords right from your Android phone.
Go to Settings
Before you start using your password manager, you need to adjust a few settings:
- Open the Settings app on your Android phone and tap “Privacy.”
- Next, look for “Autofill.”
- You should see an option to enable the Autofill feature.
- You need to ensure that you are signed into the Google account you wish to use.
- You can then proceed to the Password Manager.
- To do this, simply tap on “Passwords.”
- Lastly, locate the gear icon to access Settings and opt to save passwords.
Your Android phone will now remember your login information when used in Chrome. Please note this distinction, as Autofill doesn’t carry over to other mobile browsers, like Firefox or Opera.
What if You Can’t Find Autofill?
If you tried following the above steps but couldn’t locate Autofill, there is another method you can try. Depending on how new your device is, you might need to try this:
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down to the “Personal” section until you see “Google.”
- Tap on “Google.”
- This will open your Google account.
- You should see an option called “Manage your Google Account.”
- Tap on it, and you should see a menu bar that you can slide to the left.
- Slide until you see “Security.”
- Tap on “Security” and scroll down until you see “Password Manager.”
And that’s it! Tapping on “Password Manager” will allow you to see which apps Google has stored passwords for. From there, you can manage your passwords as you please.